In the Kagayanon Fashion The Kagayanon Health

What is Paraffin? and Why I Don't Wear Makeup?

I have never been a fan of make-up and I only wear it occasionally (and that's very rare). Most of the times, I keep a bare face even when going to work. I only use a lip balm just to keep my lips moisturize everyday. For one, I am very allergic (allergic rhinitis) to most makeup products, especially those which are powdery. 

But what I don't like the most of the makeup products is one of its ingredients, the  Paraffin, which is usually made from the distillation of petroleum. Paraffin is used to make candles, as a fuel to jet engines and rockets, and a lubricant for machinery. Now, why is it being used in cosmetic products? 


It is because  "it thickens lipid oil portion of cosmetics and personal care products and help keep emulsions from separating into their oil and liquid components. These waxes lessen the brittleness of stick products and add strength and stability to lipsticks." 
 That makes Paraffin toxic. While there is a more natural and toxic-free ingredient that has the same use in producing makeup (I will write about it in my next blogpost), Paraffin is way cheaper. That is why, cosmetic lines use it than the natural and toxic-free ones.

Though Paraffin is FDA-approved and may seem generally safe to use, if you have been using makeup products that contain it for many years, imagine the amount of paraffin you allowed to enter your body and has been flowing in your bloodstream. That is why there are several health issues associated to it such as pulmonary diseases, cancer, and kidney damage.

So, before I buy and use any cosmetic product, I think twice and check the ingredients. I would rather buy and use an expensive but natural toxic-free product. I think you should do too. I will write more about this in my next blog.

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.