In The Kagayanon Advocate

CDO Street Tutorials (Advocacy)

The Kagayanon advocates for...

CDO Street Tutorials


Late last year, I heard of a passionate group of advocates who are conducting tutorials to street children of Divisoria. Spearheaded by Kuya Jett Torres of XU-KKP-SIO, this group of students and professionals conducts tutorial activities every 7pm - 8pm of Wednesdays and Fridays at the Magsaysay Park, Divisoria. Ever since I saw the photos of the said activity, it got me so interested. :) I really wanted to join.

Then the opportunity finally came! Yesterday, I made sure to attend the activity. It was the perfect time since it did not rain, I was with my friend Maggi, and I brought the donations we collected for the tutorial.



When we arrived at the venue, the tutorials was already ongoing. I was so fascinated because of the group of people who helped and the group of people who were willing to be helped. I immediately took a spot and started talking to one child. I asked him about the things he wanted to learn and we started the tutorial right away. :)) Excited. hehe.

The boy is in the third grade at the public school in Macasandig. At first, he was kinda hesitant but when I told him that I am a teacher (a Math teacher in particular) and I could help him in his lessons, his face brightened up. That was my clue to start teaching him. :)



After a few minutes, CU-LSRG (the one who helped us in collecting donations) arrived and I had to stop tutoring to welcome them. :)) I passed the boy to another tutor so that he could still learn even if I'm not the one teaching him. The students of CU-LSRG started tutoring right away. :))

Now, let the following pictures now tell the story:


handing-out our donations



tutorials ongoing : where am i?



teaching... teaching...


It was a wonderful opportunity! It will not be my last, for sure! :))


Now, if you would like to help too, please read the letter below. It might touch your generous hearts. Please let me know what you think. Thanks. :)


~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~


Kalinaw!

We often remain mere strangers to one another and pay no attention to others especially those street children. We must be clear-eyed regarding situations that are unjust, that exploit and humiliate street children, that deprive them of their basic right to education. Some of the business communities consider street kids as pests to be exterminated. However, they have committed no crime and are the victims of the wrongdoing of uncaring parents and corrupt politicians. These street children are addicted to sniffing industrial glue to ward off hunger and they suffer malnutrition, and lack of education. This results of human neglect, spiritual paralysis, greed and political irresponsibility that allow poverty in an unjust social system. We need to develop the eyes of the heart, to see and feel children’s needs and a heart of helping hands.

Since September 2009, we have been doing Street Tutorial activity every Monday and Wednesday, 7:00 – 8:00pm at the Magsaysay Park, Divisoria, Cagayan de Oro City. This activity invites young students, professionals, youth organizations and other volunteers to render their time and knowledge to the street children by teaching Basic English and Mathematics and conduct supplemental feeding.

On September 26, 2010 (Sunday), we will be celebrating our 1st year of service and advocacy with the Street Children at Magsaysay Park, Divisoria, Cagayan de Oro City through team building activity. In connection with this, we are seeking financial support to help us in our celebration. We would be grateful if you help us in sponsoring our event.

Please feel free to contact me at 09062266926 or jett.torres@gmail.com  if you need more information. Your generous contribution would enable us to share in this wonderful opportunity. Thank you in advance for your consideration and support.

 Sincerely,

Jerome L. Torres

Street Tutorial Advocate


CDO Street Tutorials with CNN Hero Of the Year 2009 Efren Penaflorida


Photo credits: Jett Torres


 


Be an advocate! You may start now!


-The Kagayanon!-


 


Thank you for viewing my blog. God bless you.

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.